Thursday 16 December 2010

18 months and still going strong

I'm glad you can't see me as I write.  Believe me, you would be frightened.  I look (and feel) like I've gone six rounds in the boxing ring - a horribly swollen face and half closed eye caused by a massive infection in the root canal of one of my teeth.  Poor Steve has had to look after me, do the running around and present wrapping that I would normally do, or at least help with, at this time of year.  


I've been so bound up in my own misery these last few days, that the date had almost slipped by without remark. It's 16 December 2010, which means that it's now 18 months since Steve was diagnosed with mesothelioma and he's still going strong!  Only last week, the oncologist confirmed that there's no sign of any disease progression. How wonderful to be stable in a condition that has relatively little impact on day-to-day life (although the emotional roller coaster goes up and down as usual.......)


Still nothing from the solicitor about Steve's damages case. Perhaps he doesn't want to break bad news in the run up to Christmas.  No matter. The case will either go forward, or it won't.  


We have more important things to sort out and do! However, making plans is difficult when I have no idea how much longer it will take for the antibiotics to have an effect, and traveling this weekend might be tricky given the weather forecast.  I think we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out in the next day or two.  We're far more relaxed about doing things last minute now, having learned over the last 18 months about how to make the most of opportunities as and when they arise, and to take each day as it comes.


It's been lovely opening Christmas cards and reading of your news!  I hope our cards and letters arrive safely (oh dear, just remember we have still to deliver cards locally by hand)  Ah well, perhaps the swelling on my face will have gone down enough to venture out soon without scaring children and small animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment